- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil.
- 1 pound lean ground beef.
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped.
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced.
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced.
- 1 teaspoon course salt.
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (or pinch freshly ground - I sometimes add up to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon too).
- 1/4 teaspoon dry oregano.
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry; or 1/2 pound fresh spinach, rinsed, stems removed, and leaves chopped (about 4 cups).
- 4 to 6 large eggs, lightly beaten.
- Splash of hot sauce (optional, but recommended).
- Heat oil in a wide frying pan over high heat.
- Crumble in beef and cook, stirring often, until browned.
- Drain excess fat.
- Add onions, garlic and mushrooms; reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt, nutmeg, pepper, oregano and spinach; cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Add eggs.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring constantly, just until eggs are softly set.
San Francisco Recipes
Click on the recipe you want to see: